Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My First Post: Annie Leibovitz at Work

Annie Leibovitz at Work was loaned to me by my friend, Dawn.



And I’m finished now, so I really should give it back. But this book is going on the top of my Amazon list . . . hell, I should just buy it right now. It’s the most inspiring book about photography that I’ve read in a long time.

The truth is, I’ve always idolized Annie. When I think about the photographers that I'd like to meet, she is one of the top five. When I think about who I'd like to watch at work, she is number one. And then, reading this first person account of her views on her career, I realized that she and I share a lot in common.

  • She prefers to underlight her portraits, as do I.
  • She always brings music into a shoot, as do I.
  • She loves photographing professional dancers, as do I.
  • She doesn’t understand photographers that still think digital art is inferior to film, as don’t I.
  • She followed The Rolling Stones for three months on a concert tour; I have downloaded three Rolling Stones songs for my MP3 player.
As you can see, we’re artistic soulmates.

If you like Leibovitz’s work, I highly recommend this book. It’s actually going to pain me to return this book to its owner, so I am going to buy my copy now.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I love Annie and will check this book out a.s.a.p.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard an interview with her a few months ago and I thought she had an incredible way of thinking and a strong philosophy behind her work!

    ReplyDelete